I love old buildings with timeless or evocative architecture. Sometimes it’s about architectural details.
Click on the leading image to open the slide show with images sized to your screen. To exit click on the X in the upper right corner. Scroll down to see notes about the images in this gallery. More notes may be found at the bottom of the page.
In the old town of Trogir near Split, Croatia
Fortress and Wall of Dubrovnik, Croatia
Washington stayed here compliments of Mr. Pott. Had a nice view of Valley Creek emptying into the Schuylkill River, now obstructed by a train bridge.
A maze of arches in the great mosque of Cordoba (711). After the Reconquista a Roman Catholic cathedral was erected in its center (1500s) – it’s that large!
A peek into the prayer room at the old (1350s) Madrasa (school) Bou Inania in Fes, Morocco
Open the Window
Cabin in the Rural Life Museum outside of Baton Rouge, LA, a plantation complex of historic buildings preserving 1800s life
Spinning Prayer Wheel, Bhutan
The monasteries in Bhutan have prayer wheels, sometimes in a separate building or built into the sides of the monastery. Locals walk the circuit of prayer wheels reciting Buddhist teachings and spin each prayer wheel as they chant. It’s a lovely practice even if you don’t know the teachings!
A Window in Marrakech
A random window in the market section of Marrakech. Back home on working up the image I saw a the possibility of a Fibonacci spiral – do you see it?
Notes on Awards & Exhibitions
AR1. Mezquita Cordoba
- Chester County Camera Club, First place, monochrome digital image, topic – Architecture, September 2011
AR2. Madrasa Bou Inania Fes
- Chester County Camera Club, First place, color print, topic – Architecture, February 2015
AR3. Open the Window
- Exhibited by invitation at The Brush with Burden Exhibition, LSU, AgCenter’s Botanic Garden at Burden, Baton Rouge, LA, Spring 2015
- Member’s Show, Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA November 2015
- Accepted into the Spring 2018 Artists Equity 69th Anniversary Members’ Juried Exhibition at The John H. Baker Gallery E.O. Bull Center for the Arts West Chester University, West Chester, PA, for June, 2018.
- Chester County Camera Club, Third place, color digital image, topic – Open, January 2014
AR5. Rampart Dubrovnik
- Chester County Camera Club, First place, color print, topic – Open, February 2015
AR6. Spinning Prayer Wheel, Bhutan
- Chester County Camera Club, Second Place, Open Color Print, February, 2017
- Accepted into the Member’s Exhibit, Wayne Art Center, Wayne PA, Sept. 11 – Oct. 6, 2018
AR7. A Window in Marrakech
- Chester County Camera Club, Honorable Mention, Assigned color digital image, May 2018.
- Accepted into the Photography as Art exhibit, Penn State Great Valley, Malvern PA February –May, 2017